Keeping your kitchen floor clean is very necessary, to make it look new and attractive for a long time.
“Flooring is the general term for a permanent covering of a floor, or for the work of installing such a floor covering. Floor covering is a term to generically describe any finish material applied over a floor structure to provide a walking surface”.
The kitchen is a high-traffic area, prone to spills ranging from water to oils, dishes, and wine. Kitchen floors are made from wood, ceramic tile, vinyl, laminate and so on.
Most of the kitchen floors are quite easy to maintain while some are not, nevertheless, you are to clean them and ensure they are free from germs and refreshed.
These floor types are to be cleaned in different ways, in other words, each floor type has it’s own cleaning methods and the right cleaning material which will be detailed in this article.
How To Clean A Wood Laminate Kitchen Floor
The best way to maintain the laminate flooring is to avoid soaking it with too much water because excess moisture can make it swell. Especially, since it is used in the kitchen. Cleaning the kitchen floor must always be done daily to avoid damages.
You need to get a soft cloth, Broom, water, Bucket, and white Vinegar
Wood Laminate Floor Cleaning Process
- Get your broomstick and Sweep the floor
- Add water in a bucket and mix the water with up to one cup of vinegar.
- Put the soft cloth into the bucket of water and then allow it to soak the liquid.
- Remove the cloth from the bucket and then squeeze tightly so that liquid is forced out
- Wipe the floor with the cloth and turn the cloth often.
- When the Cloths gets dirty, you are to rinse in the solution and continue cleaning until the stains are removed
- When you are done allow the floor to dry, then you can start to use
How To Clean a vinyl Kitchen floor
Vinyl flooring is pretty easy to maintain. However, to remove stains or sticky messes from the floor without allowing it dry, you are to clean it up as soon as possible.
Materials for cleaning vinyl floor
These are the major items you need to keep the flooring refreshed are Bucket, Broomstick, mop, warm water, brushes with rubber bristles or soft cloth, Clean towels, mild dish detergent, Armstrong once N Done No-Rinse Floor Cleaner.
Vinyl Cleaning method
- The first thing to do is to sweep the floor and ensuring that dirt is totally swept out.
- Try to clean the floor with warm water and mop, however, do not add detergent to it to see if the stains will be removed
- If the stain or dirt is still on the floor surface after you must have cleaned with ordinary water and mop then add a little Ivory dish soap into the water
- When you have added the soap, scrub the floor with the soft cloth, mop or bristled brush, Depending on the stubbornness of the spots.
- Use a clean towel to wipe out excess moisture and then allow the floor to dry.
- If the above material did not wipe out the stain, try to use Armstrong Once ’N Done No-Rinse Floor Cleaner to scrub the floor
- Allow the floor to dry before you start using it.
How To Clean Hardwood Kitchen Floor
Abstain from cleaning a hardwood floor with water because stagnant water can discolor or destroy the wood floor, and when this happens it’s very difficult to fix it.
Materials for cleaning a hardwood floor
It does not require plenty of materials to get stains in hardwood floor out, so you will be needing, Microfiber mop, a broom, and Bona hardwood floor cleaner
Hardwood floor cleaning Steps
- Get a broom and sweep the floor with leaving beneath appliances and corners behind.
- Taking the instructions on the hardwood cleaner container and then mix to the right strength if necessary then apply directly to the microfiber cloth. Otherwise lightly mist the floor with the cleaner. Make sure you don’t pour liquid on a hardwood floor
- Begin scrubbing the floor with the microfiber cloth or mop.
How To Clean Bamboo Kitchen Floor
Bamboo floors are durable and resistant to moisture and insects. Maintaining the proper care of bamboo floors will make them last longer and look great.
The Cleaning Process
- First thing is to sweep the floor every day with a bristle broom. Remove every dust using the dustpan and make sure that the bristle brush did not bend, because when you apply too much pressure can bend the bristles thereby scratching the floor.
- Mop the floor once In a week with a wood soap or hardwood rated cleaner. Wring the mop thoroughly until it is barely wet, then mop gently. You can concentrate on the areas with spots and grime then check again for excess liquid when you finish. Ensure you follow the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the cleaner and dilute only with water if it’s specified.
- Vacuum the floor with a felt head once a week. Do not vacuum the floor with an active rotating brush
How To Clean a Concrete Kitchen floor
Mostly stained concrete floors experience light foot traffic and these cleaning steps will help it look refreshed and new.
Deep Cleaning Steps for concrete floor
- Dry dust mop always to keep dirt and grime
- Sweep the floor regularly
- Get a PH-neutral cleaner and mix it with water. For a deeper cleaning.
- Protect using a good film-forming sealer and a coat of wax. You can apply it again depending on wear, generally after some years.
Regular Cleaning process
- Get a broom and Sweep away dirt and debris
- To remove stains, firstly, get a bucket and pour water into it and a soft scrub brush. Move to mild soap to strong soap and then add ammonia
- To wipe a stubborn stain, you might need degreasers but you can only use it on a plain concrete floor.
- As you design the floor, have it in mind that saw cut patterns create narrow grooves in the floor surface which attracts dirt.
- Ensure you use only the cleaning solutions recommended by the manufacturer and make sure you avoid harsh cleaners.
- Always follow the maintenance procedure provided by the manufacturer.
How To Clean an Expoxy Kitchen Floor
Expoxy is can be used on different kinds of floors due to its resilience and smooth finish. This floor can also be damaged by different kinds of dirt. So it’s very important to take precautions to prevent staining the floor always
The Cleaning Procedure
- Always clean all spill with a towel to suffice for all but the greasiest stains.
- Get a bucket of hot water and kitchen pad
- Start cleaning, and attend to the toughest stains using a vinegar solution. Mix 1 cup of vinegar with two gallons of hot water.
How To Clean a Brick kitchen Floor
We have the Interior Brickwork and interior brick floors, get the details of the cleaning process below.
Cleaning interior Brickwork
- Vacuum the floor regularly
- Once in awhile damp mop using a string mop with ordinary water to remove soil
- When it’s heavily soiled, you might clean the brick with a mild detergent solution and also with a scrub brush mop
- After mopping, rinse the floor to wipe away the solution
- Dry the floor
Damp mopping will avoid dirt from building up. Simply mix a cup of vinegar with water and then mop the floor to bring out its beauty.
Cleaning the Interior Brick floor
- Sweep the floor
- You can clean using a solution of a moderately strong alkaline like soda
- Add one tablespoon in one gallon of warm water
- Get a scrub brush or a string mop and wipe on the surface
- Rinse properly to wipe out all residue solution
How To Clean a Ceramic Tile Kitchen Floor
The maintenance level of a glazed ceramic tile floor is very low. So if the following procedure did not give you what you want, then you can try a commercial ceramic cleaner like, Sidol.
Materials you need
Bucket, Sponge or mop, warm water, Broom, mild dish detergent like ivory are the items you will be needing to maintain the ceramic tile floor.
- Sweep the floor properly and also ensure the sides and beneath the edges of appliances are swept too
- Fill the bucket with water
- If there’s a stubborn stain on the floor, you can add dish detergent to it, if not, the warm water should be ok.
- Start to Sponge or mop the floor, then ensure you rinse frequently
- Wait for the floor to dry before you start to use
How To Clean a Linoleum Kitchen Floor
Genuine linoleum is a unique material with a maintenance process that is similar to wood. It is tough and durable but susceptible to moisture and alkalinity (high pH levels). In order to maintain its best appearance and to protect it from dirt and excess moisture, linoleum should only be cleaned with our recommended products.
Follow the directions below to enable your Linoleum floor to last long and beautiful.
- Remove dust and debris in large traffic areas with a dry microfiber mop daily
- Always clear dirt and debris with a soft bristle brush or vacuum cleaner attachment, once in a week.
- Ensure you damp mop the floor with a solution of one gallon of hot water, a cup of vinegar and little drops of dish soap.
- Dump away the mixture and refill your bucket with a clean water
- Wait for the floor to dry properly before making use of it.
Unlike the general cleaning method, a deep cleaning is to be done once or twice in a year that is to remove dirt that is embedded in the floor surface and regain its loveliness.
Materials for Deep Cleaning
You will need a bucket, towels, vacuum cleaner, hot water, mild dish soap, soft bristle brush, microfiber mop, and baking soda
The Cleaning Process
- Sweep or vacuum loose debris and then sprinkle the baking soda on the floor
- Get a bucket and mix a gallon of hot water, with a cup of vinegar and few drops of dish soap.
- Begin to mop the floor with the mixture and then for the stubborn stain use the scrub brush
- After cleaning the whole floor, get clean water and re-mop to discharge every trace of soap or baking soda remaining on the floor.
- Dry the floor with a clean dry towels
How To Clean a Marble Kitchen Floor
In as much as marble floors are long-lasting, it can be stained if not taken proper care of because it needs appropriate care to maintain its beauty.
- For a soft cleaning, sweep out dirt using dust mop like the microfiber dust mop
- Use the vacuum with care because the wheels can scratch and damage the marble surface and avoid metal attachment
- For deep cleaning, apply a PH neutral soap to the mop. Make sure you don’t use harsh cleaners because it can wear away the marble.
How To Clean a Cork Kitchen Floor
Cork flooring is a solid and reliable floor material for the positive environmental impact which makes it a good choice for homes. It has a soft feature and does not require high maintenance and care. You will be learning how to take good care of the cork floor so it can maintain its beauty.
Items For Cleaning Cork floor
Get a vinegar, neutral chemical cleaner or dish soap, soft Sponge mop, soft bristle brush, warm water, microfiber cloth, Murphy Oil Soap, and Bucket.
The Cleaning Method
- First and foremost, Sweep and dust the floor using the soft-bristled broom.
- Get a bucket and fill it with warm water and add a small quantity of neutral chemical cleaner or dish soap. However, make sure you avoid using acidic cleaner because it can destroy the sealant used on the Cork floor.
- Wipe the floor using a soft sponge mop moreover Avoid pouring excess amount of water on the floor because it can easily saturate the floor thereby causing the floor joints to swell
- After moping, softly dry the floor using a soft microfiber cloth and wait for it to dry properly.
How To Clean a Porcelain Kitchen Floor
Porcelain tile flooring is beautiful and durable flooring. It retains it’s sparkling for a long time as far as its properly maintained. Its material is embedded with a veritable rainbow of hues and partly because of its stain and moisture resistance.
Moreover, it loses luster over time but restoring its original beauty is quite easy using the cleaning process. However, it is necessary to always clean your porcelain tile often at least twice in a week in other to keep it refreshed. There are different types of porcelain tile, they are as follows, Glazed, unglazed and textured porcelain tile. Read below to get the cleaning Procedure for each of them.
The cleaning Method For Glazed porcelain tile
- Sweep the vacuum dirt and debris and then use a dry dust mop around the area.
- Get a hot water-dampened mop and don’t allow moisture to puddle on the tile
- For an old toothbrush or a soft nylon bristle brush to loosen heavier soil.
- To remove stains or spots, get water and mix with vinegar or any other commercial cleanser and dilute to half strength.
- You can start mopping with your desire cleanser and mop again with hot water before the cleanser dries.
- Get a clean towel and dry the surface of the floor
- When it’s dried, use a cheesecloth to buff the tile to a high shine.
Glazed Porcelain tile Cleaning Process
- Sweep and vacuum the tile to clear dirt
- Saturate the tile surface with a vinegar and water mixture
- Wait for about 5 minutes for the cleaner to soak into the tile but do not allow it to dry.
- Locate the stained area and scrub with a soft bristle brush
- Wipe out the dirty cleaning solution and then rinse the tile with hot water
- Allow the tile to dry, before you start to use
Textured Porcelain tile cleaning Steps
- Get a soft-bristle broom and Sweep the area two times, concentrate on the tile direction and then on a diagonal.
- Vacuum the tile to remove every remaining dirt or debris.
- Get a bucket of water and mix with vinegar
- Saturate the tile with the solution and then live it for about 5 – 10 minutes to soak into the tile
- Get the soft bristle brush and scrub the floor again working in two directions.
- To remove the solution completely, you are to rinse the floor with hot water.
- Use a damp mop across the floor.
- Get a Microfiber cloth or a clean towel to dry the floor.
How To Clean a Terrazzo Kitchen Floor
Terrazzo is embedded with marble chips a concrete material that is combined to make smooth, luxurious flooring that brings out the beauty. In other words, Terrazzo is a composition of marble chips and the concrete or resin. So as the marble chips in terrazzo last long, the binder is more porous and is subject to stains or dirt specifically for flooring. A sealer can be applied to the floor to help resist stain and other liquid penetration.
Terrazzo floor Cleaning Steps
- Sweep the floor to clear debris and dirt. If the floor is dusty you can get a dry mop and wipe the surface.
- Get a bucket and pour ordinary water or a neutral cleaner.
- Wet mop the floor and allow the cleaner for some time to penetrate the floor and dissolve dirt. Make sure that the whole floor is wet if not the dirt will dry back.
- Rinse the floor properly with clean water or use a wet vacuum to remove the dirty water.
- Dry the floor thoroughly.
How To Clean Slate Floors
Slate is very soft and can be easily chipped and eroded by acids and hard scrub brushes. You are to fight stains as soon as it happens to keep the beauty of the floor for a long time.
The Cleaning Steps
- Sweep or vacuum the floor . Go over the floor, with a soft bristle broom to remove debris. Avoid using a hard brush on the floor because of its soft nature so it doesn’t get damaged.
- Dust mop the floor. Get a clean dust mop that is not oily, then run the mop in one direction over the floor to pick dust and debris. Do not move back and forth to avoid taking the dust back to the floor.
- Get a bucket and mix a gallon of warm water with half a cup of detergent, and ensure the detergent is not harsh to avoid abrading the floor you can go for gentle dish soap.
- To mop the floor, squeeze out the mop and make smooth strokes, just move slowly. You can repeat this process to avoid dirt from clinging to the mop
- Get a soft towel to dry the floor.
- Allow the floor to dry properly
- When the surface is dried, apply a teak oil using a soft cloth. Avoid applying too much oil that the floor will start to absorb.
- Within two to three months repeat the process to avoid more difficult cleaning in the future
- Get a sealer, you can find it in flooring retailers and hardware stores and then follow the instructions on the label. Use a clean cotton mop to spread the sealer all over the floor. This sealer will help to avoid spots from spills.
To Remove stains on Slate
- Ensure you wipe out spills immediately it happened
- Get a clean sponge or a soft bristle brush with warm soapy water and then scrub the floor.
- For floors without a colored grout, mix an equal amount of water and hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle. Then spray the solution on the floor and allow it to for about 10 minutes, after, scrub it out with a soft pad.
- For stubborn stains, mix a little amount of peroxide and baking soda to form a paste.
- Allow bubbles to stop and then apply the mixture on the stains and wait for a few minutes, wipe it using a clean towel
- Apply the shaving on colored grout, once you’ve put the shaving cream on the spots, allow it to sit for up to 15 minutes, then clean it with a soft cloth and warm water. You can apply the shaving cream in a hidden area first to make sure it did discolor the grout.
- Pour absorbent material like kitty litter on the stain and leave it for like 10 minutes for a fresh spot but for an older spot you can leave for hours. In case it doesn’t remove the stains, mix an equal amount of baking soda and water to form a paste, then cover the area with it and leave to dry.
How To Clean a Carpet Kitchen Floor
The best way to clean your carpets is by using a powder. Below is the procedure for cleaning the carpet with powder.
- Sweep the floor
- Sprinkle the powder over the carpet
- Leave the powder for up to 30 minutes, it will be perfect if you leave it overnight to soften the stains
- Vacuum up the powder
To Clean With Carpet shampoo
Follow the directives in the shampoo label because there are lots of them
- Make up the solution as directed and dilute with water If directed
- Cover the area with enough Carpet shampoo
- Avoid putting too much liquid on the carpet to reduce drying time
- For a stubborn stain, use a hard bristle brush to scrub
- Allow the carpet to dry
- As soon as it dries, vacuum the shampoo
How To Clean a Terracotta Tiles Kitchen Floor
Terracotta tiles are naturally porous, leaving watermarks and stains to set in, it means it requires regular cleaning. For your terracotta tile to stay attractive you will need to take care of it.
- First, sweep the floor
- Pour a solution of 25% stone floor cleaner in a bucket of warm water
- Apply smoothly on the floor with a mop
- Leave the solution for about 15 minutes and then start to scrub. For stubborn spots apply product neat
- Wipeout dirt and rinse with water
- Dry with an old mop
- Allow tiles to dry completely and then put down dust Sheets to prevent spills, vacuum the floor
- Apply boiled Linseed oil on the surface
- Redistribute surplus oil if any, take a brush and go over the floor to redistribute the excess oil
- Leave to dry, you can wipe remaining oil with a rag.
- Seal with a protective finish
How To Clean Tile Grout
For your tile to appear great and beautify is clean grout. Follow the steps below to clean up the grout and make it look new.
- Avoid commercial cleaners, instead, get baking soda and mix it with water to make a paste.
- Locate the stain and apply the paste there, live it overnight to be perfectly soaked
- In the morning, get a stiff nylon brush to scrub the stain. You can repeat it if necessary. Note, avoid scrubbing with a metal brush because it will damage the grout.
- Apply a silicone-based sealer to the grout to repel future stains. The best time to apply it is within 10-14 days after the grout is installed or renewed.
Additional Tips on Maintaining the Kitchen Floor
- Make sure that spills are cleaned immediately it occurs to prevent damage or stains
- Place doormats on every entrance to prevent tracking in dirt.
- Avoid the use of a wire scouring pad on any floor type rather scrub stuck-on food spots with a Scotch-Brite pad
- With common dish soap and water, you can remove the ordinary kitchen mess from the floor.
- If you are worried about liquid cleaner volume, you can opt for a spray container. Then mist the solution instead of pouring it directly.
- Ensure you don’t drag furniture across the floor because it can cause scratching. You are to place materials beneath furniture and chairs that are frequently dragged across the floor.
- Avoid using hard bristles or scrub brushes, because they can scratch the floor surface.